Friday, November 20, 2009

Bowl of Mush...

That is what I feel like right now. It's been a long week. I've gotten much done this week, but there is always more to get done. Right now I'm trying to forget just how sore I am from my Volleyball class this morning. So far it's not working...maybe because I played it last night for two hours, then this morning for three. So much for me being smart...well, wait, I never said I was smart...especially when it comes to volleyball. But enough about that...

Okay, so the newest movie in the Twilight series came out this morning. Now, let me preface what I am about to say by letting you know that I do like the books. But seriously, 30-40 year old women going crazy about a 17 year old? How amazingly dense and sickening can they be? I understand teenage girls going crazy, but their moms? That is a whole new level of weird and slightly scary!

Let's think about this series logically. Everybody says that this is the greatest series and it's all about how much they love each other. They point out this series as a model for how relationships should be. I'd like to point some things out that you might not have realized.

Step 1: Put the book relationship in the context of a real life relationship.
After you do that, look through the book and notice all the mentions about his looks. (Yeah, because a real relationship is all about looks...*sarcastic snort*)

Notice how he urges her to go behind her father's back. (Yeah, because in a real relationship the father has no place and the girl doesn't have to listen to the man who's been taking care of her for all her life...I know the book circumstances are slightly different, but I've got a good point here...)

He controls who she is friends with. In this case, he tries to keep her from seeing her best friend. (Yeah, because that doesn't sound like a controlling boyfriend...I thought people tried to avoid relationships where the guy tries to control everything...apparently not...)

He threatens to kill himself if she leaves or dies. (Dramatic much?...this falls under the controlling part as well. He says that life without her isn't worth living...while he may truly feel that way, he says that to keep her with him. Do you really need something like that in a real relationship? I don't think so.)

Anywho, the next time you twi-hards read the books, you might want to think about whether you'd really want to have a boyfriend like Edward. I'm not for one "team" over another...but maybe you should really think about what you're reading and encouraging young girls to emulate...

No comments:

Post a Comment